Friday 29 July 2016

Nike Running gear from Mr Porter

Craig of That Dapper Chap tries out running gear by Nike from Mr Porter


Avid followers of my Instagram account will know that I'm a keen runner. Racking up around 100km each month I run to keep my heart healthy and to keep the fat at bay. I love a pizza as much as the next guy, I just don't want to look like I do! You do the crime, you do the time! That means hitting the pavement hard and shifting the calories from last night's takeaway.

If you're a stylish guy during the day there's no reason not to look stylish while you work out too. That's where Mr Porter comes in! So throw away those paint splattered cut off joggers and get in the game.


The guys at Mr Porter have a huge designer sportswear for the modern man. Covering nine disciplines, they offer clothing for cycling, sailing and tennis to name just a few. You name it, they stock it.

As a runner I was keen to look at their range of running gear and chose to stay loyal to Nike, grabbing a Pro Combat Hypercool Dri-FIT Max Compression Top, a pair of Air Zoom Pegasus 32 Flash Mesh Sneakers and a pair of Distance Dri-Fit Shorts. Unfortunately the trainers and the shorts have now sold out. You snooze, you lose right! But Mr Porter have many many other options for you.




I think this may be a good time to tell you that when I run I'm the guy who just throws on an old T-shirt and does his thing. I've never worn a compression top and was a little concerned about showing off my middle aged lumps and bumps to everyone that I ran passed. 

While it was very tight, once it was on I didn't think about it. Yes, it fits like a second skin and while I'm not overly self-conscious about my physique, I know that a lot of other guys might be. So if you're not entirely comfortable with the idea of a compression top, try something a little looser, just make sure it's comfortable and breathable like the Tailwind Dri-Fit running T-shirt or the Contour Dri-Fit T-shirt, both by Nike Running.





The shorts are great, and I can see me grabbing these in favour of my other shorts time and time again. Now guys, there's something I need to address here, and it's an issue that some of us may have with the 'linings' inside our shorts. Some shorts have a mesh inner that can rub in sensitive areas (trust me I know) but these shorts have a very soft jersey inner which is super comfortable and I've not experienced any...errr....chaffing or rubbing since wearing them, so buy with confidence!


Not only are the shorts incredibly comfortable but they are super functional. They have pockets at the sides which a lot of shorts don't have, and in addition to those they also have a back pocket with a secure zip for your key or phone. With reflective trims, you're going to be seen on those dark wet nights.



I've been through a few pairs of running shoes since I started running 15 years ago. You should change your running shoes every 800km (500 miles) This avoids injury from the loss of shock absorption from degradation of the sole. So don't make the mistake of wearing yours until they fall to bits, you could end up with an injury that sees you having to lay off the running for weeks or even months.

These Nike Air Zoom Pegasus trainers fit great and perform really well. It is noted on Mr Porter.com that we should choose a half size smaller than those we would usually buy as they tend to come up large, so bear that in mind if you decide to get yourself a pair.


I suffer from Achilles tendinitis and use Orthotic insoles in my running shoes to correct this. I was concerned that these may not fit correctly in my new shoes as I'd had a problem with a previous pair which saw me take them back to the store. I'm pleased to say that they fitted very well and were very comfortable to run in.

Overall I'm really pleased with my new running gear, and I'll be about and about in it, pounding the pavement and burning those calories again very soon. Now where's that pepperoni pizza?


 


SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© That Dapper Chap

This site uses cookies from Google to deliver its services - Click here for information.

Blogger Template Created by pipdig